Sunday, November 20, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!



Thanksgiving is this week?!? Holy shit,  where did the time go! Weren't we just grilling out for the 4th of July?

Last year, I tried my hand for the first time as the hostess. While I managed to pull it off in the end, I'm clearly not ready for the stress of Thanksgiving Day. I'm a perfectionist...what can I say? I started the day off well. I remembered to thaw the turkey ahead of time (or so I had thought). I was unwrapping the bird when ice chunks started to come off with the wrapper. Understandably, I started to freak out a little bit. I started running the water to thaw it off a little bit more. I then reached my hand up the turkey to grab the giblets and other ICK stuff. Slight problem. The "bag" of goodies was frozen to the cavity. I proceeded to run hot water up the birds ass to loosen it. Finally, I get the bag when I realize there's something else. I grabbed and pulled...suddenly there was a bloody turkey NECK in my hand. I threw it in the sink and contemplated canceling dinner. Being my mother's child, I of course kept on trucking with dinner preparations and everything tasted fine...including the turkey.

I wasn't ready to be the hostess not only for the stress but because it felt like I was moving too fast in my life. Every Thanksgiving is with either my Mom or my Dad. Last year, I didn't get to spend it with either one. Growing up, Thanksgiving was a big deal (as is every holiday). The morning of, my Dad and I would watch the Macy's Day Parade together. My mom would spend the whole week prior getting the house ready and then all day on Thanksgiving she would work on the food and last minute decorating. Dinner consisted of about 15-25 family members and it was pretty formal. I always had my hair curled and a dress but it added to the excitement for me. My Dad as usual had the gigantic video camera out the whole time and I every year had to make Thanksgiving about me. Generally, this consisted of me pulling out my tape player and wearing my ballet outfit to put on a "recital" for everyone. Towards the end of the evening, we would all watch Home Alone 2 (every time I watch this movie now, I think of those Thanksgiving's.)

As the story goes...my parent's divorced, I grew up, there were new family members, family members gone, different houses to visit, etc. My holiday traditions are based on my early years. I know of course nothing stays the same, but atleast I can hold on to a piece of my past each year.

So I guess I can be cheesy and list what I'm thankful for:

- My health (minus the mono episode on my birthday)
- My supportive and loving family
- The friends that have my back when absolutely needed (moving me out of my apartment on a whim within a couple hours)
- My job and my understanding bosses
- Second chances <3
- My car...it's a big deal
- My loving, adoring, annoying "child" Jack
- Running water...you never appreciate something more until you live without it
- The ability to stand up for myself and give myself the life I deserve


Happy Thanksgiving ya'll! Now go put on a tu-tu and entertain Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment