Sunday, September 30, 2012

Attention Men!!! (and women!) :)

I noticed today that if you a Google search that says "Ways for men to be romantic and why it is important for women" I couldn't really find anything. Men need all the help they can get. Let me start by getting into the psychology of why it is important for woman to have their boyfriend/husband be romantic. 

Women love to be loved. We thrive on knowing we crossed your mind, no matter how long we've been together, that we still give you maybe one of those little butterflies. We love knowing you're still happy with the choice you made in choosing to spend your life with us. We are not mind readers and men do not freely vocalize such things. Whether or not women admit it, it's nice to know our man still looks at us with that sparkle in his eye. 

This video has a lot of great advice. I would recommend listening to the whole thing if you have a few minutes. Be forewarned, she's a little cheesy, but it's the content. :)


      

Another great article I found:



1. Surprise her at work/take her to lunch.
Kelly Ripa Kelly Ripa and husband Mark Consuelos enjoy a romantic lunch on the patio of Pastis restaurant.  The two kiss and feed each other before heading out on Mark's scooter.Arrange your day so that you can stop by her work and take her to a special lunch and get her mind off of work and on you just for a little bit. For some possible bonus points you could bring lunch to her at work with the bonus of a flower or it being her favorite meal if there is a place to sit down and enjoy it.



2. Breakfast in bed 

That first cup of coffee can taste great in the morning, but it always tastes better when someone else gets it for you, particularly on a cold morning. Want bonus points, sneak the car out of the garage and get her favorite latte from Starbucks and wake her up with a cup of $5.00 goodness.
If it is the weekend, a nice leisurely breakfast of her favorites would be perfect, maybe with a nice note and/or flower on the tray.

3. Call her just to tell her you love her
Absolutely do this.  This is the best dating tip or piece of relationship advice on the list.  Just call her, not to ask her where your keys are, not to ask her to pick up your dry cleaning on the way home, just call her to tell her you were thinking of her and that you love her. That’s it. That is enough.

4. Actually listen to her when she talks to you and ask her about her day
When my wife asks me about my day I can wrap it up in fifteen words or less. When I ask her about her day she can drone on for what seems like hours about stuff like how some daisies looked on the side of the road or how some woman named Wendy felt when some other woman named Susan was rude to her in the morning meeting. I will be honest, I would rather be hit in the head, repeatedly, with a hammer than have to endure some of these conversations, so I just throw out a bunch of well placed “That’s terrible.” “Really?” “Oh no’s” and “I can’t believe it’s” until she is finished while I continue doing whatever I was up to in the first place.
Take the time to endure the finger nail ripping, mind numbing, head swelling agony of asking her about her day and actually LISTENING TO HER. You need to climb Mount Everest at least once in your life.

  I know, I know. You can’t write. Well I can’t write either, and you do not see that stopping me, do you? Seriously, that is the point. She knows you will have difficulty penning a love letter, but the effort you go through to pen something better than “Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Let’s get naked and invite your friend Susan, too.” will earn you some serious romance points.

6. Remind her/celebrate a small special occasion.
Celebrate the day you met, your first week, your first month, your first year of being together, celebrate the day of your first date, first kiss, first… well you know, first trip, the day she got promoted or the day she got that new job, the first night she wore that dress you like, or the first night you said “I Love You” and hopefully meant it.
Give her a call asking her what she wants to do for the special occasion, odds are she will ask you what special occasion, and you will say “I cannot believe you forgot, tonight was the first night we did “X,” and I thought we should celebrate it together.” You should get an “Awww, you’re so sweet” in response or something equally mushy if you did it right and are not already in trouble for doing something massively stupid.

7. Give her a weekend or night away while you take care of the kids
 I did this one three years ago and I am still banking points off of it. I rented a suite for my wife, prepaid for a spa treatment and a few other surprise bonuses and sent her off to be alone for a relaxing weekend away from the kids.
Added bonus: Make sure the house is not a total disaster when she gets back.

8. Warm up the car for her in the morning, scrape the ice off the windshield. If it is summer time, crank up the air conditioning and cool those leather seats.
 
It is a simple thing, but in many cases simple is good.

9. Compliment her
Give her a solid compliment. Think about it and write it down if you have to. Something better than you look nice, something more like “You look absolutely stunning in that dress, it really makes your eyes sparkle.”
Be careful though, make sure you really mean it. Let’s say you throw that line out there to earn some points not paying attention to the fact that she is wearing the stupidest outfit you have ever seen that makes her butt look like the spare tire on the back of an old Lincoln Continental. Now she will think you love the that “clown suit/stupidest outfit ever” and will wear it “just for you” from now on. All you will be able to do at that point is grit your teeth behind a smile, and not say a flippin’ thing about it.

10. Do whatever it is that you really do not like to do, but you know she loves
I personally hate shopping with my wife, all I am is a bobble headed pack mule. She holds up two articles of clothing and asks which I like best. Invariably, whatever I pick, she likes the other one. She will have to try on 19 outfits in 14 colors that to me look exactly like the outfits she tried on at the last three stores. I will be relegated to the job of carrying everything or being “size boy” because she will be thinking optimistically about what size she wants to be wearing instead of what size she is wearing. I will have to go get the correct size as she can only face reality behind the safety of a changing room curtain.
My wife loves to shop, so every so often I will get myself psyched up to spend a day enduring the pain and agony with a smile plastered on my face, bobbing my head up and down at the appropriate questions and making absolutely certain that I shake my head no when she asking if whatever she is trying on makes her look fat.

Bonus
11. Hide a small note somewhere she will find it when you are not around
Hide a note in her purse, under her pillow, in her wallet, or anywhere she is destined to find it when you are not around. The note can simply say “I am thinking of you.”
A good point that Dr. Meyer mentions is that not all men and women view romance and affection the same. I'll go into a little bit of detail of what she meant. 

There are 5 love languages. These are:


  • Gifts or gift giving.
  • Quality time.
  • Physical/touch.
  • Affirmation or compliments.
  • Service.


  • I would highly recommend EVERYONE take this quiz to see which is your love language. I took it, and my results were:



    11Words of Affirmation
    4Quality Time
    3Receiving Gifts
    4Acts of Service
    8Physical Touch



    Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important–hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.
    Words of Affirmation

    I challenge you to try atleast one of the tips given in this blog TODAY!!! Don't put it off. You never know how long we really have.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment