Oh look...another blog by yours truly. I've said it once, and I'll say it again- I have 15 diaries from my childhood half full because I eventually get side-tracked and don't keep up. With that being said, I feel this new blog is important. When you're going through major life changes, it's important to be able to express how you feel or what's going on. I know once I get to the next stage of my life, I'll want to come back to this to see how far I've come. Onward....
If you know me personally, you know I have "natural high's". I have always been the type of person to appreciate the small things in life. One of my things is going to the Garlic Festival- I know....sounds kind of weird. To some people, this is just a thing to do, a place to get drunk, or a thing to put up with. For me, it's about tradition. For the past 21 years, I have attended every single Garlic Festival. I have literally grown up with it. The second weekend of October is just as important to me as the 25th of December. I think one of the reasons, is this is one of the things to remain a constant in my life no matter what change or struggle I have gone through. This year is no exception.
I look back to a year ago right now. This is when I realized my marriage, after only 4 months, was falling apart. I gave my all for the following 8 months when I finally took some time to decide "Do I want to continue living a lie?" I couldn't do it. He didn't deserve it and I was slowly killing myself with depression. The hardest step is coming out about it, but I jumped in with both feet. Within a week, I was already feeling like a new person.
Now here we are again...the second weekend of October. Head held high ready for another year at Garlic Festival with another constant in my life- My mom. I couldn't have made it without her. The symbolism of everything is beyond words.
Moral of the story---Even when you're in the darkest hour (or year), you find that moment where you can take a look back to see how far you've come and where you're headed. Somewhere in that moment is peace, acceptance, and excitement. No one ever said life would be easy, but the greatest thing about it can be summed up in 3 words. It....goes...on.
Cheers to the second weekend of October ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment